Dhokla, which is also called Khaman Dhola is one of the most popular Gujarati Snacks. Not only is it delicious, but it is also very healthy because we made it by steaming instead of frying. We made this dhokla recipe with gram flour (besan) as the key ingredient, which has fewer calories than wheat flour and has more protein but more flavor.
This can be made within 20 minutes and serves as a snack. It looks very soft and spongy. Nowadays there are many Instant Khaman dhokla mixture is readily available in the market. But I can tell you in my experience if you made this dhokla at your home with my process, you will forget all those instant dhokla mixtures.
So if you searching for a light and healthy breakfast, try this Indian-style Gram Flour Cake. To make this follow step by step with the photo below.
What are the main ingredients For Dhokla?
Actually, you need a little more Ingredients, but these are the main ingredients which are a must. Chickpea Flour (Besan), Semolina Flour (Sooji), Yogurt, Baking Soda, and Asafoetida. For other ingredients, see the recipe below.
Serving Ideas For Dhokla
There is a signature chutney available to serve with Khaman Dhokla which is made with sugar, coriander leaves, curry leaves, green chili, and mustard seeds. But I noticed many people are served this with a sweet mango chutney along with a little sprinkle of roasted sesame seeds.
The main thing is, the Dhokla has a light flavor, so you can serve any other light chutney with it.
Can I serve this as a weight loss-friendly breakfast?
In my opinion, yes. You can serve this as a weight loss-friendly breakfast. We know every 100 grams of Besan (chickpea flour) contains 387 calories. So if you serve this in two portions, it will be a great breakfast and can maintain your weight loss routine also.
Is it Necessary to add Citric Acid in Khaman Dhokla Recipe?
No, it’s not necessary to add ready-made citric acid. We are already using lemon juice in this recipe which has enough citric acid. Actually, we need citric acid you active the baking soda. So when we use lemon juice, there is a big opportunity to activate the baking soda.
Containers we need to make Khaman Dhokla?
Always use a microwave safe bowl or container if you make it in the microwave or oven. Also, you can use a cake mold. If you make it in the steam process (recommended), baking tray, or any other small non-stick container you can use.
Today many people prepare Mug Dhokla which is also a great idea. If you try this please comment us below.
Step by step Instruction of Dhokla Recipe
First, you have to take 1 cup Besan, Sooji, Salt, Red Chilli Powder, Turmeric Powder, Sugar and Hing (Asafoetida) in a mixing bowl or a mixing pot.
Then add curd to the mixture and add roughly 1/2 cup of water slowly to make a batter of pouring consistency.
Then add lemon juice along with ginger and green chili paste.
Don’t forget to add 1 teaspoon oil to the batter. Mix all the ingredients perfectly and let the batter rest for 10 minutes
At the end of it, add Baking Soda to the batter. Stir it quickly in a single direction to evenly mix the Fruit Salt. The batter will become frothy. Pour the batter immediately into a greased pan.
Then you have to boil some water in a steamer or Saucepan. If using a pressure cooker, do not put the whistle on the pressure cooker lid. Place the pan with the batter in the steamer and let the batter steam for around 15 minutes on high flame.
Micro-oven – Preheat a micro oven. Put the container into the micro-oven, bake for about 3 minutes at high temperature.
Oven or OTG – Preheat the oven at 200C for 10 minutes. After that put the container into the oven and bake at 180C for 20 minutes with both grill on.
Now it’s a very sensitive part to understand the dhokla is perfectly ready or not, so I suggest using a toothpick. Then open the lid and insert a toothpick into the dhokla. If it comes out clean, the dhokla is ready. If not, then cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
Let it cool, then tap the sides gently to release the dhokla. Invert the dhokla on a plate and remove the pan. Cut into square pieces.
Making the Chutney
After that heat a frying pan with 2 tbsp of refined oil. For tempering add 1 tsp of black mustard seeds along with 1 pinch of asafoetida, 8-10 curry leaves, 3-4 green chili slit.
Fry for a few seconds, then adds 1 cup of water. To adjust the taste add sale and sugar.
Thereafter add finely chopped coriander leaves and cook this for 2 minutes.
Now served this chutney with Dhokla. You can also add some grated coconuts for great taste. It’s increased the beauty of dhokla.
I think you all understand the process. So ready to make it at home. Also, it has many other processes to make, so please share your process through the comment, we will discuss it in our next article.
Checkout these recipes:
- Aam Dahi Puri, Mango sweet chutney Dahi Puri
- Vegetable Manchurian gravy without maida
- Crispy Lemon Chicken
- Mediterranean Avocado Salmon Salad
- Strawberry Smoothie Recipe – Crispyfoodidea
At last, don’t forget to share this article with your friends and also subscribe to this blog to get all new recipes first in your email.
Khaman Dhokla Recipe
For the Batter
- 250 grams Gram Flour (Besan)
- ⅓ cup Yogurt
- 1 tsp Baking Soda or ENO
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice (optional)
- 1 tbsp Ginger & Green Chili Paste (optional)
- Salt as per taste
- ¼ tsp Red chili powder (optional)
- ⅓ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 pinch Asafoetida
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Black Mustard Seeds
- 10 pieces Curry Leaves
- 4 pieces Green chili
- 2 tbsp Coriander Leaves (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- Salt as per taste
- First, take a mixing bowl and gather all the dry ingredients like chickpea flour, salt, turmeric powder, sugar, asafoetida along with lemon juice and yogurt.
- Now add the required amount of water and start mixing with a spatula.
- After mix all the ingredients, let it rest for a minimum of 10-12 minutes. (It's a secret)
- In the meantime, preheat the Microwave for 2 minutes.
- Take a cake tin or any baking container and coat oil with a brush.
- Now take the dhokla mixture bowl and add 1 teaspoon of baking soda and mix. Use cut & fold process to mix it.
- As quick as pour the mixture into the baking container and put it into the microwave.
- Baki on high heat for about 3 minutes and your dhokla becomes fluffy and ready to serve.
Prepare the chutney
- Now heat a frying pan with 2 tbsp of oil.
- Keep the heat on very high. Add 1 tsp of Black Mustard Seeds.
- When the mustard seeds are started crackling, add 1 pinch of asafoetida.
- Also, add green chili slit and continue to stir. Otherwise, these will burn.
- Now add fresh curry leaves and stir for 1 minute.
- Add 1/2 cup of water along with sugar and salt.
- You can also add lemon juice if you want.
- Add chopped coriander leaves. Cook for 1-2 minutes more and it's done.
If you like this article about the Khaman Dhokla Recipe, please share this with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. Also, you can subscribe to my blog to get all the latest articles first on your mobile.
SHARING IS CARING!
Did you like this recipe and make it later at home? SAVE this pin to your favourite board on Pinterest!