In Bengali culture, only one name comes to mind when we need to serve an authentic veg breakfast. That is Radhaballavi. Yeah, you are right, this is an urad dal stuffed puri that is served with Chana Dal or any other veg potato dish like Aloo Dam or something else.
Radhaballavi Recipe | রাধাবল্লভী | Bengali Dal Poori Recipe
- 250 grams Refined Flour
- 100 grams Urad Dal (Biulir Dal or Kolai Dal) overnight soaked
- 500 ml Oil
- Salt as per requirement
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 8 grams Fennel Seeds or Mouri (powdered)
- ½ pinch Asafoetida
- 2 tbsp Ginger paste
- 3 nos. Green Chilli Paste
- ¼ tbsp Black Cumin
- ⅓ tbsp Turmeric Powder
- First of all, we need to soak the Urad dal overnight.
- With the help of a mixer grinder, make a smooth paste of the urad dal and keep it aside in a bowl.
- Take 8 grams or 2 tsp of fennel seeds and make a medium powder in a grinder or Mortar Pastel (Hamandista).
- Also, make a paste of ginger and green chili and keep in a bowl aside.
Make Radhaballavi dough
- In a large mixing bowl, take 250 grams of refined flour.
- Add salt, 1 tbsp of chili-ginger paste, 1 tbsp of fennel powder, and 3 tbsp of refined oil.
- Now add 1/3 of Urad dal paste and start mixing well.
- Then add the required amount of water and knead well. Make a soft dough.
- Apply little oil and cover with a cloth to rest for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- In this meantime, make the stuffing.
Prepare the stuffing
- Heat a frying pan with 2 tbsp of refined oil.
- Add black cumin and wait for the temper comes.
- Then add turmeric powder and add the remaining chili-ginger paste.
- Saute until a nice smell is coming out.
- Thereafter add sugar and saute till it caramelized.
- Then add asafoetida and stir a little. Also, add salt at this time.
- Add the rest of the fennel powder and saute continuously.
- Now add the remaining urad dal paste and stir well. Keep the heat in medium.
- Saute for 5 minutes till the dal is cooked perfectly.
- After the stuffing is perfectly ready, keep them in a bowl to cool.
First time, I try this recipe in Durga Puja Astomi Day. In our tradition, we can’t eat onion and garlic so we have to make some dishes for breakfast. That time I decide to make this awesome bengali dish. You don’t believe this recipes is tastes soo much delicious.
Checkout these recipes for breakfast:
If you like this article about Bengali Style Radhaballavi Recipe, please share this with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. Also, you can subscribe to my blog to get all the latest articles first on your mobile.
SHARING IS CARING!
Did you like this recipe and make it later at home? SAVE this pin to your favourite board on Pinterest!