Aloo’r Dum is also known as Dum Aloo or Aloo Dum, which is very much famous in India. You can find several versions on this aloo dum all over India and they have also their own methods. My discussion on today’s recipe is the Kashmiri Shahi Aloo Dum.
This is a pure veg version, that’s mean without onion and garlic. Making procedure is also very simple and you get all the ingredients available in your kitchen. So let’s start the recipe.
What ingredients we need to make this Shahi Aloo Dum?
This is the most interesting part of this recipe. You don’t need any extra ingredients you have to especially bought from the market. All the ingredients are easily available in your kitchen because we need regular kitchen ingredients.
Potato, tomato, ginger, dry fenugreek leaves, coriander leaves, five-spice mix, and hot spice powder are the main ingredients for this recipe. For the rest of the ingredients, you have to scrawl the page.
How to make Bengali special Five Spice mix or Panch Phoron?
Actually, it’s a mix of five different spices and very much popular in Eastern India. These spices are easily available in any grocery shop separately. You can bring them and make your own, or you can buy a readymade five-spice mix or panch phoron from any grocery shop.
The spices are:
- Fenugreek seed
- Nigella seed
- Cumin seed
- Black mustard seed
- Fennel seed
What happens if I use Onion and garlic in this recipe?
These make not any difference in this recipe. Personally I am not adding these ingredients because I prepare this recipe for pure vegetarians. Actually, for the Bengali religion, they can’t eat onion and garlic for any holy day like puja or something. So they need to cook everything without onion and garlic, that’s means pure veg. So this shahi aloo dum is perfect for them of served with puri or Radhaballavi.
Shahi Aloo Dum Recipe Without Onion and Garlic
- 500 grams Potato peeled and cubed
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tsp Oil
- ½ tsp Five Spice mix (panch photon)
- 2 nos. Bay Leaf
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon
- 3 nos. Cardamom
- 2 nos. Clove
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tbsp Ginger paste
- 1 nos. Tomato chopped
- 2 tbsp Cashew paste
- 1/2 tbsp Kasoori Methi (Dry Fenugreek Leaves)
- 2 nos. Green chili slit
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaves
- ½ tbsp Hot Spice Powder
- At first, peeled the potatoes and cut them into a cube shape.
- Put them into a pressure cooker along with a sufficient amount of water and 1 tsp of salt.
- Cover the lid and pressure cook them until one whistle.
- Heat a frying pan with 2 tbsp of oil.
- Add five-spice mix (panch phoron) along with 2 bat leaf, cinnamon, clove, and cardamom.
- Temper for 10 seconds, then add 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder and stir a little.
- Then add 1 tsp of coriander powder and 1 tsp of cumin powder. Stir well.
- Thereafter add 1 tbsp of ginger paste and saute. Also, add 1 chopped tomato and saute in medium flame until the mixture starts to release oil.
- Add 2 tbsp of cashew paste and continue stir. At this time, add salt. This will help to speed up the saute process.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of crushed kasoori methi. Then add 2 slits green chili.
- After all the saute is done, add the boiled potatoes and start mixing.
- Then add a sufficient amount of water for gravy and stir a little. (do not over stir, otherwise the potato become mushy.)
- Add chopped coriander and give a little mix.
- Now add 1/2 tbsp of hot spice powder, give a little mix and your shahi aloo dum is ready to serve.
Check out these recipes that you may like:
If you like this article about Shahi Aloo Dum Recipe, please share this with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. Also, you can subscribe to my blog to get all the latest articles first on your mobile.
SHARING IS CARING!
Did you like this recipe and make it later at home? SAVE this pin to your favourite board on Pinterest!